Re: How Many Years Have You Been in the Industry?

> I'm actually amazed at how well he's doing...

On a personal note, Bob, you might not want to always seem so
amazed at how well he handles things.  It sounds as though he's
just what you raised him to be.

> ...Next year I plan to trailer my motorcycle down for Jan,
> Feb and half of March, and I'm beginning to think I'll hand things over
> to him to fully run by then....

Excellent!  Next year we'll be in the USA from December through
the first half of February.  Hopefully you can come down to
Sarasota then.

> But...hey...I'm just a youngster n terms of years in business
> compared to guys like yourself, Bob Lalonde and Jim (alarman).
> So I'll just sit back and continue to learn things from others on
> the newsgroup !

After ten years or so the length of time in the trade really
doesn't matter.  The issue whether you stay up to date on new
industry trends and developing technology.  A typical example is
VoIP.  Most of the people in the trade act as though if they wish
hard enough or say enough bad things about it, it will go away.
It's here to stay and it's going to significantly affect our
industry -- like it or not.  My attitude is if it's here to stay
and I want to be here too, I'd darned well better learn how to
work with it.

> A year is a long time though; who knows what can happen
> in that length of time.  I retired once before 12 years ago;
> I'm beginning to think its time again.

I have a different attitude about retirement and a different
approach to it as well.  We're planning to hire two or three more
sales people over the next year.  I've raised my advertising
budget to $150,000 per year and will increase it further as we
hire.  When there's enough income from what my staff do without
me having to work much I'll consider myself retired.  :^)

> I wish everyone on the ng well....

Same here.

> (having to deal with a dial up account here in Florida is a
> bummer though......)

Kind of ironic, isn't it?  I'm in the middle of a Third World
nation using high speed DSL.  Have fun in Florida, Bob.  Time for
me to go now.  There's a small Carnaval party tonight in Campo
Grande.  We'll be getting together for dancing, music, laughter,
dancing and more music, along with a bit of the bubbly with a
small group of 35,000 newfound friends.  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms