Re: EOL's

This is getting ridiculous, but I couldn't resist making the comments
below...

"Robert L Bass" <sales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> On 20 Feb 2006 04:27:57 -0800, "Al Colombo"
> <securitymission@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Frank.
>>
>> I can assure you that Bass is not telling the truth on the issue.
>
> I can assure you that Al is lying on this matter.  He made up the
> conversation to suit his own weak ego.
>
>> He has no idea about my background...
>
> Your foreground being what it is, it's difficult even to see your
> background.

Everyone I know considers personal attacks to be a Cheap shot...

>> I think it's not that hard to tell a "reporter" who writes
>> about security from someone who's worked in the
>> field.
>
> I never said you hadn't worked in the field many years ago.  I
> said that most of the stuff you "write" is just quotes from what
> others have written for you.

I hate to ask, How do you know that?

>> I've never elaborated much in the news group or in
>> any of the mags concerning my past.  Perhaps it's
>> time to do that...
>
> Yes, tell us about your "degree" as an engineer's assistant.
> Which university was that?

Cheap shot #2...

>> This will be one of the longer posts I've made on the
>> news group, so please forgive.
>
> All is forgiven (and most snipped)
>

>> I had my own company from 1974 through 1986.  When I sold it, the name
>> of the firm was Alarm & Communications Co.  I specialized in apartment
>> security as I was a Nutone Independent Installing Dealer as well as a
>> Nutone Service Center...
>
> Ah, yes.  Nutone Intercoms.  They were junk even by the standards
> at the time.  I've ripped out more Nutone intercoms than I care
> to recall.  We'd bring sheet rock and lots of spackle every time
> we replaced one since the old Nutones were huge, recessed boxes.
>
> I've yet to see a 5-year old Nutone intercom that was still
> working.  I sell replacement parts for them only because most
> people don't want to fix the huge holes that would be left in
> their walls if they replaced them with better quality hardware.
>
> If you were pushing Nutone I can understand why you had to get
> out of the business.  After a while it would take three service
> techs for every installer just to keep up with the constantly
> failing hardware.

Isn't Nutone still in business? you'd think they'd be gone by now...

>> I also held a distributorship with tekTone and Faraday.
>
> That's nice.  I have relationships with almost every major
> manufacturer and distributor in the industry.

Purchasing & drop shipping from Low Voltage distributors is not what I'd
call having a relationship with the major manufacturers... ADT, P1, and
Brinks have nice relationships with the manufacturers, small alarm dealers
and E-tailers are just a name and a number...

>> I worked primarily with Napco burglar alarm systems in
>> those early days...
>
> Thank goodness you got that part right.
>
>> In 1980 I studied and became a locksmith ...
>>
>> My forte ended up within the industrial fire suppression...
>
> You were a plumber, too.  What an interesting resume.  When I get
> back to Florida I'll give you a call.  We have a drain that keeps
> getting clogged and... :^)

Cheap shot #3

>> and detection sectors as I worked for about 7 of those
>> 12 years for a large fire suppression company who worked
>> three states.  I ended up selling my company in 1986 to
>> that firm and working for them for 3 1/2 years until I took
>> the full time position with SDM.
>
> Knowing how little SDM pays vs the potential income from
> operating an alarm company, one wonders what problems led to your
> dismissal.

Cheap shot #4 ....... Oh hey, looks like there's an opening... So Robert,
when are we going to start seeing your articles in SDM???

>> While I worked for that firm...
>> --- snip ---
>> You can't help but pick up a thing or two with that kind
>> of experience...
>
> Perhaps if you had learned a thing or two about resistor
> tolerance I'd believe you.

Cheap shot #5...

>> I re-entered the field in 2001 when I resigned from SDM.
>
> Why did they fire you?  SDM is a pretty tolerant outfit.  They
> must have been really upset with you over something.

Cheap shot #6...

>> I ended up working at a large electrical firm where I
>> establshed a low-voltage company.  We were in the
>> black in about 2 years and three months. I resigned
>> from there in the fall of 2004 when I signed on full
>> time with SSI.
>
> So here you were, running a successful alarm company again and
> yet you took a major pay cut to become a reporter for a third
> rate trade mag?  What's wrong with this picture, Al?  Why is it
> that every time you work for someone else you end up "resigning"
> as soon as they are on their feet?  Could it be that there's an
> underlying personality disorder or are you just making this stuff
> up?

Sounds like another guy that posts here... He had a successful company with
its own central station monitoring thousands of accounts in CT.... Then for
some reason, he sold it, moved to Florida and opened a website that sells
alarm parts to DIYers... Hmmm, go figure that one... Are these guys losers,
or did they make their money, and now spend their time doing what they like
to do???

>> To address the alarm problem/resistor issue itself, I don't even think
>> the original poster's problem was directly related to the EOL changing
>> it's resistance since he was referring to a burglar alarm system that
>> uses a closed loop.  I posted my thoughts on that as well.
>
> Yes, and you were wrong.  You tried to explain resistor tolerance
> as the issue, stating that the rated tolerance has to do with how
> much the resistor will drift over time.  Of course, that doesn't
> explain anything at all since there are no resistors made with a
> 57% tolerance rating.  Could it just possibly be that you were
> simply wrong and that all the rest of this crap is an attempt to
> avoid admitting the simple truth.  You spoke "through your hat"
> as the saying goes.

>> As far as tolerance goes, there's not a lot to discuss, really.
>> If you have a 1,000 ohm resistor and it has a 10% tolerance
>> band, out of the box it could be a anywhere from 900 to
>> 1100 ohms in resistance.
>
> Very good.  That is what I tried to explain to you.  You're
> learning.

RUDE........ And a Cheap, ah never mind, I think you get my point about some
of your comments.............