Re: connecting buildings

As far as I know, there is no national model code requirement for two
buildings to share a common alarm system or that they be
interconnected.  There may be a local requirement to do so (Denver
comes to mind).  NFPA 72 minimum requirements are to annunciate by
floor and by building.  See NFPA 72-2002 4.4.6.1.2 and A.4.4.6.1.2.  If
your locality prosecutes the IBC, see IBC-2003 907.8.

In my opinion, each building in your example is permitted to be
annunciated separately by street address, so long as the building were
1 floor, less than 22,500 ft^2 in size, and no more than 300 ft in
length or width.