Re: Coax as data cable

> So I go to this site to program a DiBos where a Samsung Digital Watchdog
> was. I notice something hanging off the back besides regular BNC
> connections that I originally thought was a mike connection. It looked
> like a DIY job with screw on BNC connectors instead of 2 or 3 piece crimp
> on connections.

Numerous professional installations still emoploy screw-on BNC connectors
for CCTV.  They work fine for composite video only but they're not good
enough for hi-def and some up-the-coax data applications.

> When I looked hard at it I realized someone ran an extra coax instead of
> data wire to the PTZ.

As mentioned above, up-the-coax PTZ control data is an option.  Whether that
was the intent of the person who did the job, of course, is another
question.

> That I had never seen before. I hope no one here is going to tell me how
> great it is to use coax for PTZ
> data cable. Now it looks like its time to run new coax
> and 485 cable to the PTZ. I guess the customer is
> going to love getting charged for that.

If it's a lengthy cable run your customer might be happier if you first
consider sending the PTZ via that extra coax.  It works well when properly
set up and it can be a time saver for you.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics