Coax as data cable

So I go to this site to program a DiBos where a Samsung Digital Watchdog
was. I notice something hanging off the back besides regular BNC connections
that I originally thought was a mike connection. It looked like a DIY job
with screw on BNC connectors instead of 2 or 3 piece crimp on connections.
When I looked hard at it I realized someone ran an extra coax instead of
data wire to the PTZ. That I had never seen before. I hope no one here is
going to tell me how great it is to use coax for PTZ data cable. Now it
looks like its time to run new coax and 485 cable to the PTZ. I guess the
customer is going to love getting charged for that.