Re: Smoke detector and rechargeable 9V battery?

Frank Olson wrote:

> Lithium batteries are NOT the "best choice" for smoke alarms.

Sure they are, they last longer.

 >Making
> such a generalized statement is both unprofessional and unsafe.

It was a broad statement, I should have wrote "if the manufacturer
permits Lithium batts then they are the best choice".

> Smoke
> alarms are "life safety".

No shit?

>batteries should be replaced with new
> ones once a year.  Use a good quality NEW alkaline battery

Making such a generalized statement is both unprofessional and unsafe.

>and *always*
> follow the manufacturer's recommendations.

Yeah, that's what I (and everyone else) said.

Just for giggles I went to the first manufacturer that google came up
with and picked a detector at random--  check it out

"Choosing a replacement battery:
Your Smoke Alarm requires one standard 9V battery. The following
batteries are acceptable as replacements: Duracell #MN1604, (Ultra)
#MX1604; Eveready (Energizer) #522. You may also use a Lithium
battery like the Ultralife U9VL-J for longer service life between
battery
changes. These batteries are available at many local retail stores."

http://www.brkelectronics.com/downloads/safety_products/user_manuals/smoke_alarms/Battery/manual_SA710_English.pdf

No where do they recommend replacing batts. yearly.  I think the
battery marketing department came up with that baloney.