Re: The problems with X10 ...

That grandfather won't dream about that everything will be made in his
country, all cheap.  Good depends on how you design it.

Nowadays chip makers and Chinese factories are only interested in mass
consumer market to make lots of money.  Zwave and Zeebee are all
designed to skip the middleman.  Buy it, plug it in, screw it in.  So
it doesn't matter what is good and what's not to those guys depending
on automation for a living.

As for DIY'ers, Zeebee only have big development modules at the moment.
 The other day I looked at the Zwave controllers and remotes on Lowes;
it horrified me.  From the pictures online I didn't know that they are
so fcking BIG.  My wife wouldn't approve it.  The central panel looked
like a cheap plastic toy rather than a Ultra Mobile PC.  But X10
actually have some wafer thin remotes.