Re: EZ-Mate

> Technically it's the same, but you'd
> really have a tough time bringing a
> copyright infringement suit given:

First of all, *I* wouldn't sue you.  I don't care if you make 10,000 copies.  It's not my software.

> The software was designed to talk to
> specific alarm panels that are long
> discontinued and not manufactured
> or supported by Radionics.

The purpose or usefulness of the software isn't an issue.  If they wanted to make enough of a fuss they could have Jim's website
shut down without ever needing to go to court.  I'd be very sad if that were to happen since I think his site is a good thing.
Besides, he needs the income from the site to cover the ongoing cost of expanding that garage.  :^)

> They'd never be able to prove actual
> damages so a suit would never happen...

I seriously doubt they give a jiminex what he does but if they did they could certainly sue.  It would be far easier though to
simply go to his upstream provider, threaten suit and his website would be out of business.  There are law firms that specialize in
doing just that.

> In this respect it is different. Radionics
> is not being damaged by techs trying
 to support their old equipment and
> keeping Radionics equipment alive
> and working properly.

Whether they are being damaged is a matter for the finder of fact.  Remember the old lady and the cup of coffee from McDonalds?
Would any sane person believe that she suffered $250,000 worth of pain whan *she* spilled the coffee on herself?

> Just a thought.

Though is good.  It would be nice if a few others here used it from time to time.  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics