Re: The most realistic dummy CCTV security camera... ever!

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 08:11:37 -0700, "Bob La Londe" <nospam@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

><root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> Check it out!
>
><SNIP-O-ROONEY>
>
>The best dummy cameras are real cameras.  Seriously.  I save my dead cams in
>a box for dummies.  In one industrial site we put in 16 real cameras and 30
>dead cams and outdoor housings all with cable and conduit as apporiate.  I
>took over a hundred digital pictures from the location of all cameras and
>dummies and then saved them on the clients computer.  The same one he
>typically uses to view the DVR from.  When his unit goes into screensaver
>mode it flips quickly through all those still images.  Unless somebody has
>access to his DVR they can never be sure which cams are real and which are
>dummies.

Bix box retailers do something similar.  They install empty housings
at many more locations that there are actually cameras.  They can then
move the cameras around the store as needed to focus on whatever
issues they're having.  Shoppers, vendors, and employees have no idea
which housings contain cameras at any given time.  Another customer of
ours has two systems within their location.  The contract guards have
access to the normal cameras on a DVR at their station.  There are
also several covert cameras that are run to a separate DVR in a server
closet and are accessible only by management from a corporate office.
These cameras watch the employees including the guards that are
supposed to be watching the regular security cameras.