Re: CP-01

I could after taking that CP-01 class, but it might be easier just to look
here.
http://www.siacinc.org/dealer_standards.asp
That site has a list of CP-01 panels. The list is not correct. Unfortunately
even this is already outdated and incomplete. But there still aren't very
many panels on the real up to date list.
Let's say in CP-01 there are a lot of hyper-technical details on panel
programing.
Here are some examples:
I see in some other posts concerns about dialer delay. That is one item. It
defaults to 30 seconds. You can change it to 15 seconds. If you set it to
less than 15 seconds it defaults back to 30 seconds. (it is that way on all
the CP-01 features, set it too low and it goes to default value). Panel must
be able to send closing error signals to Central.
Kepads have to beep in a unique way during the last ten seconds of entry or
exit delay. Panel must disarm if just 4 digit code is entered and nothing
more (no "off" digit or "enter" button). No 1+ combo duress.
Delay restart must be active. On BURG zones only, swinger shutdown default
is on one trip, can't be more than two trips, arm/disarm to restart, (or
recycles in 48 hours to allow additional trips) or can be programed to send
troubles on further trips. Panel disables call waiting on first dial to
Central *70. No fire verify on 2 wire smokes just 4 wire? (A bug or a
feature, I can't tell which). Panel has to beep (exterior) on remote arm
(fob). Panel must have some new differnet different zone types. DSC has a
new one called night zones (strange new zone type) and a couple more, I
don't know  if it relates to CP-01 or DSC just thinks it does. Automatic
removal of interior (stay/away) and night zones if no exit door is faulted
on arming, except remote arm by fob type. Takes two buttons (or three second
hold-down) to activate panic or manual alarm from fob or keypad.
New DSC panel has pager format like before but also a new residential dial
format and one other similar format to send info to end user's cell without
sending it to Central. Is that just for CP-01? No one really knows yet.
Officially panels are not grandfathered. If a non CP-01 panel blows up, a
CP-01 goes back in. That is the panel manufacturer's take on it anyway. I
wonder why?
The list goes on and on about goofy little picky things. No reason to try to
like it or not like it. Other than some minor tweaks CP-01 features really
can't be changed on a CP-01 panel. The DSC guy says California is next to
get CP-01 no later than 2009. I haven't seen that in writing anywhere. If
California gets it then it won't be long until EVERYONE will.
The only positive thing I can think of is that in Texas it just became far
easier for a technician to say to the customer "I can work on and program
any panel that is out there", and really be able to.
It gives panel manufacturers a great excuse too when they put in features no
one likes, or when they remove ones folks do like. They can say "Sorry, it's
just a CP-01 thing" and we HAD to do it.
I think you may see a round or two of law suits filed where one manufacturer
tries to get a panel from another manufacturer labeled CP-01 "disqualified".
Now who could have figured lawyers would benefit from this CP-01 thing? I
never saw it coming.