Re: 7845C in conjunction with a DSC 5020

Russell Brill wrote:

> > What I expect will happen is that the cell providers will simply stop
> > maintaining the AAMPS stuff, and it will eventually fade away.
> > js
> >
> In the Big Metro areas look for that to happen sooner than later... Analog
> channels only allow a single call per pair (input/output frequency) at any
> given time. Digital can handle (estimate) 10 calls per pair, that equals
> more revenue for the telco. The revenue side of things is the big motivator
> to kill AMPS, they could care less about the alarm guy's problems, after
> all, we've been warned in advance. Just my 1/2 cent, Russ

I wouldn't expect that they would even consider the "needs" of the
alarm industry. But on the other hand, they don't want to p*ss off the
end uses either.

Every day, people are dropping service for all kinds of reasons. As new
people are signed up they'll obviously be put on the new system. As the
rumor mill churns, some (alarm) people will switch. As equipment in the
field requires service or fails, they'll switch to GSM. As transmission
equipment fails in time, others will be forced to change because the
service will shut down in their area. BUTTTTT no one can say that they
weren't forewarned.

This seems like the sensible way to do it. Gradually over a period of
time with as little turmoil as possible over a protracted period. I
think that they'd see this as much more desireable than a short
tumultuous change over.

After the first of the year, I will be sending a notice to all of my
"radio" customers that there is a "sunset" coming up and that they can
expect to be notified at any time that they will have to switch their
backup systems to the new technology. I'll be offering them prices of
the switch-over at this time and over the next year or so, I'll be
sending a reminder with each of their monitoring bills, that time is
running out.

That is ......... likewise ...... No one can say that they weren't
forewarned.