Re: Using an alarm system off-line

"Matt" <mlkaulen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1164907245.245434.271420@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I just moved into a new house which has a Brink's system already
> installed.  We haven't decided if we want to activate it with Brinks
> yet or not.  I don't see the need to pay >$30/month to protect my
> household goods. That's what I have insurance for.  My main concern is
> protecting my family when we are home. Because the equipment is all
> purchased, is there a way to use it off-line so that the alarm will go
> off, but it just won't be connected to the police/fire department?  I
> was originally told yes by someone at Brinks, but when I called back to
> get instructions on how to do it, I was told that it was impossible to
> do.
> -Thanks
>   Matt

If you think the $30.00 a month you're not spending on monitoring is somehow
going to "protect your family", you've obviously never experienced a home
invasion (nor know of  someone who has).  The monitoring fee has nothing to
do with "protecting your property".  If you have a Brinks system, then
expect nothing more than the absolute minimum for protection.  The basic
system comes with two door contacts and a motion detector.  It would barely
work for your dog's house.  If you're thinking of protecting your family,
you have to re-evaluate your entire security system.  A perimeter system is
what you want (and I don't care which alarm company you choose to provide
it).  I'd suggest you have a look at what Frank's put together at
http://www.yoursecuritysource.com.  Click on the "FAQ's" link.  Oh, and by
the way...  ditch the Brinks system.  You probably don't even "own" it.