Using an alarm system off-line

I just moved into a new house which has a Brink's system already
installed.  We haven't decided if we want to activate it with Brinks
yet or not.  I don't see the need to pay >$30/month to protect my
household goods. That's what I have insurance for.  My main concern is
protecting my family when we are home. Because the equipment is all
purchased, is there a way to use it off-line so that the alarm will go
off, but it just won't be connected to the police/fire department?  I
was originally told yes by someone at Brinks, but when I called back to
get instructions on how to do it, I was told that it was impossible to
do.
-Thanks
  Matt