Re: VOIP Question Again.

Petem wrote:
> there is no alarm system that is compatible with all voip system
>
> some will work some wont...

Petem is right on this one.  Various panels work with some VoIP systems
and not with others.  With some combinations performance is
intermittent.  It seems that the main problem has to do with the kind
of compression algorithm being used by the analog converter.  Vonage's
black box, which I tried last year, was unreliable at the time.  They
may have an improved model by now though I haven't kept up with them.

I've used several converters with varying degrees of success in
handling FAX, analog modems and telephones, as well as one type of VoIP
phone with built-in IP.  The latter, a Polycom 501 "SIP" phone, works
best.  However, performance depends to a great extent on the IP
communications provider and the virtual attendant host provider (LINUX
box running Asterisk).

I used conventional phones and a FAX via VoIP while working in Brazil
earlier this year.  The service was reliable, better in fact than
Verizon's POTS lines at times.  I plan to test an ELK-M1 Gold on VoIP
in my own home a few months from now when I'm up to working again.
I'll post results after I test the system.

Regards,
Robert L Bass
www.BassBurglarAlarms.com