Re: Looking for serious opinions.

ABLE_1 wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I know "opinions" here are not hard to find, that is why I thought I should
> ask.
>
> With out going into a lot of detail and naming names.  Who or how should I
> handle the following situation???
>
> I had installed a total of 18 "devices" on a system about 3 years ago.  Come
> to find out that a total of 11 out of these 18 are with manufactured defects
> that will render the device non-functional.  After contacting the
> manufacture and explaining the defect and sending pictures, they have agreed
> that there is a problem.  They have requested that I would ship the
> defective devices back to them for further investigation.  They have also
> agreed to a credit to me thru my distributor by supplying me with 18
> compatitable devices of another manufacturer since non were in stock at this
> time.
>
> My plan is to take more pictures and send a letter to the manufacturer
> concerning the defect.  My concern is that once I send them back, I and
> other dealers (you) will never hear a thing about this.  The indication is
> that they have no knowledge of this ever happening before with there
> product.
>
> I am asking here to get some input as to how product recalls are initiated
> or implemented so that this does not get swept under the carpet.
>
> And as I said above I will not divulge any names or product models at this
> time.  This is just a fact finding mission that I am on at this time.
>
> Thanks in advance for your responsible comments.
>
> Les

First thing you have to do is get it or put it in writing and start
communicating with the mfg with certified - return receipt letters.
Anything said in a conversation can (and will) be denied. Since you've
already spoken to them, you can write them a letter describing, in
detail your findings and experiences with the equipment. Then go on to
describe how you contacted them and what they said, what you said. End
the correspondence with ..... I will await your corroboation of the
events, so far, as outlined in this letter. I will expect a reply
within  XX   days. Describe every product in detail and be as specific
with dates and places and events, as you can.
Include as many names as you can,  of other people you've spoken with
also. Don't forget to include the names of people at distributors and
sales reps. Having third party substanciation of your efforts is always
good.

If they don't respond appropriately, report it to whichever agency or
as many agencies as you care to.  Which, even if you do get a
posititive response, depending upon the ultimate out come, you should
probably do anyway. If you're not satisfied with their response,
depending on how strongly you feel principled about it, letters to
distributors, their competitors and in fourms like these have some
effect.

Recalls are started by one person followed by how many others make
complaints.