Re: Can I do this, will it help my friend

"mm" <NOPSAMmm2005@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> As a general rule, will I usually be able to use any 4-wire keypad
> with any control panel that has a 4-wire keypad input?

No.  Not at all.

> If not most combinations, what about a Moose Z1100 keypad with a Moose
> Z900 control panel.   The stuff I got includes new ones of these, at
> least they are perfectly clean and still in the box, complete with
> installation and operator's manuals.**

Nope.  It won't.

> Although my burglar alarm friend said he could install it in an hour,
> I didn't want him to come in to my incredibly messy home, so he gave
> me the standard panel he uses, new in the box, for me to install,
> because he knows I can do it if I take enough time, and maybe because
> he plans to give me at least 5 dollars a month off on the monitoring,
> maybe more, and figures it's ok if I do some of the work.

I hate doing work for friends.  I usually try to encourgae them to do the
work themselves and give them the equipment much cheaper than I would
normally sell it over the counter.  If they are poor I'll give them a used
panel AND keypad.

> He generally uses the same panel for all his customers so he only has
> to use one brand of software at his end to make changes, but I"m never
> going to ask him to make changes***.  He and his family do favors for
> me all the time, and I try to find things to do for them, but afaic,
> they're still way ahead.  He's overloaded at work (remember my
> question is, even though the best panel I have now is the Moose Z900,
> and the panels he installs are from DSC since he's not going anything
> online, will they cause him any MORE work?

DSC is ok stuff.  Should have no issues.  If it was me though I w2ould be
more comfortable with it if my friend had me program his panel after he got
it installed.  In fact I would insist on stopping and taking a quick look at
it so I can point out anything that could be done a little better.  Sorry
about your messy house.  Can't be much worse than my office.  LOL.

> Since I won't be using one of the panels he buys, will that save him
> any money, or are they so cheap it doesn't matter?

Cheap is relative, but they are not real expensive.  Since it sounds like
you don't have matching equipment you may want to offer to do some work for
him or just buy a basic panel from him if you can afford it.  Friends help
out friends, btu then friends don't take advantage of friends either.

> If you offerred to put a burglar alarm in your friend's home, and were
> going to charge him less than others for monitoring, would you be
> annoyed if he didn't want to use your panel, because he found another
> "in the trash"?

Only because it might be more work to deal with than just using a good new
panel.  I hate trashing. Guys think they will save a hundred bucks and then
spend 8 - 10 hours or moer mucking around with junk.  They could have just
worked for that time and bought a new one instead.

I get a kick, a lot of satisfaction, out of using
> things I've found in the trash or at yard sales, etc.

Yeah, I know.  A lot of guys are like that.  In this case its really not
wroth the headaches.  A z900 has some design flaws, and while the Z1100 is a
better panel it still won't be as clean and wonderful as a new crisp out of
the box panel.

> Thanks a lot.

Yer welcome.

> ***I've had an alarm for years, but the combo keypad/control panel
> burned out (smoke actually came from it when I was pushing the buttons
> on the way out one day.)

Sounds like you could have some other problems.  I would definitely ask my
friend the alarm guy to atleast look at it.

> **(My first friend runs a ministorage and these were left behind.  I
> think the guy retired and then died, and his daughters cleaned out the
> rented storage room.

People save all kinds of junk.

> They're supposed to remove everything, but I
> guess they left it there for the last sibling to come and take what he
> wanted, and since their father had rented the space for years, my
> friend didn't mind that she had to pay to clean it out (after I took
> what I wanted).  (Hmmm, I see that the older of the two is ADC.

Might even be proprietary then, but I doubt it being that old a panel.

> It
> looks almost identical, but the manual says it uses a proprietary
> format in communicating with the central station.  But it's the older
> one anyhow)

Oops.  I guess it is proprietary.  LOL.

--
Bob La Londe