Re: Installers Wanted

Bob La Londe wrote:
> How do you hire and screen without wasting all your working time talking to
> idiots who want a paycheck without working?
>
> Last time I did a "by appointment only."  This allowed me to do some
> prescreening on the phone.  Then I set appointments to fill out an
> application for about a dozen guys.  Two actually showed up.  One actually
> completed the application.
>
> I think a lot of the callers were just looking for a name to put on their
> DES unemployment form.

Not really what you're looking for, but... when a friend worked once managing a
fancier restaurant in Whistler, BC (ski-resort town), he had a simple hiring
process for kitchen workers: he simply asked them, "Skier or snowboarder?"
Skiers got hired - boarders didn't.  The latter, he explained, were almost
always the part-timer burnouts just looking to work as little as they could to
get enough money to put a roof over their heads and buy their lift tickets for a
few monhts. :)