Re: Quick opinion poll regarding Bass' multiple "PR" posts

Nomen Nescio wrote:
> Matt Ion said:
>

>>I'm not missing that point.  My point is, the sniping back is at least
>>half of the noise problem, and it's NOT solving anything.  Neither
>>"side" here is right.
>

> Let's follow that through to its logical conclusion.  Those of us who
> dislike Bass remain silent, while Bass continues to post his usual
> bullshit, though perhaps - perhaps - in smaller quantities.  Now, you may
> be right that the total volume of noise in the newsgroup may be reduced.
> However, the result would be to Bass's advantage, as Bass could say
> whatever he pleased without fear of contradiction.  Bass would appear to be
> telling the truth, as no one would be speaking against him.  Sucker newbies
> would take his words as gospel truth.  That might serve the cause of noise
> reduction, but at the expense of the truth.
>
> What you are proposing, in simple language, is that all of Bass's critics
> shut up, and that Bass say whatever the hell he wants.  Not only is that
> not going to happen, it would be morally wrong to allow that to happen.
>
> - badenov

I agree.  Excellent post.  The reason "shunning" and "ignoring" Bass
worked in the aviation group is because he had nothing to contribute in
the way of content (meaningful or otherwise).  He was a troll looking to
make trouble.  In this Group, he uses his knowledge of the industry, the
bad practices of a *very few* Dealers (who probably aren't even in
business anymore), and the cost of labour and overheads to support his
DIY "Mantra".  You mix in the blatant half-truths, lies, and misleading
comments and you have an individual that can articulate a point (however
wrong) to his favour.  If we were to ignore this individual, the Group
would essentially become his own private "sandbox" and people would be
treated to more and more of his marketing posts.

Take it a step further.  Let's say the other people involved in selling
on line were to start posting their own ads, PR, and HTML messages.  I
for one didn't come here to be bombarded with this kind of spam and from
what I gather, neither did you.  I didn't come here to be insulted,
demeaned, or otherwise attacked.  You wouldn't tolerate it in *real
life* and I certainly won't sit back and let some no-name, unlicensed,
installer "wannabee" do that to me here.

I agree with you on one point, Matt.  The noise to signal ratio here has
been off the dial for the last couple of weeks.  Robert's sitting back
laughing at all of us as he pushes all the buttons he knows will make us
jump.  Quite frankly, I don't (and won't) go back to posting flames
against him.  Others feel differently and I respect that.  He's the
industry's "Machiavelli", and without question depends on PT Barnum's
assertion that "there's a sucker born every minute".  He "says" DIY is
on the rise.  I haven't seen a whole lot of evidence to support this and
I've been involved in a couple of installs where I was called in to help
"put it right".  Bass will say it's "only a couple" because they didn't
buy from him and thereby didn't have the "benefit" of his experience and
excellent customer service.

I also believe that Robert's his own worst enemy.  He posts frequently
into CHA (comp.home.automation) where a good number of people have
mentioned that they're grateful for his participation there.  Do they
ever recommend him??  No.  Why is that do you think?  The only time I
ever see bassburglaralarms mentioned is whenever he posts into the Group
(it's in his sig line).

There are a number of DIY Dealers that post into alt.security.alarms.  I
don't see one of them *ever* run down their competition, the industry,
or specific products the way I see Bass do.  I don't see one of them
post PR or HTML messages into the group.  He's arrogant, self-serving,
and *desperate* for business.  This even comes across in his messages in
CHA.

There are a number of DIY resources out there (including ones that
actually have store-fronts in several cities across North America).  The
outfit I know of in Vancouver is called "Burglar Stop"
(http://www.burglarstop.net/).  Their prices (retail) are on a par with
most alarm companies, but the main difference between Bass and Dealers
like this is that they employ *licensed* staff that are available to
physically help with an install as well as "rent" the tools necessary to
do one (they also answer their phone 24/7).  Think about that for a
moment.  Bass convinces the DIY to install glass break detectors.
What's the proper way to test them?  How often is the DIY going to be
using the manufacturer's tester after the initial set-up?  What about
the six foot drill?  The Grabbit?  Fish tape?  He's not, and he's just
blown $$$$ on a device or tools he'll maybe use once (or twice).  What
he "saves" in labour he's going to have to invest in tools and equipment
to get the job done right and I haven't even mentioned "FF" (frustration
factor).

Then we come to monitoring the DIY system.  Bass used to sub out his
monitoring to an outfit called Alarm Central (much like a number of
independent Dealers across North America do).  The problem was (he says)
that it wasn't the "centre of revenue" he thought it was going to be.
In reality the Florida DBPR started an investigation into his activities
and rather than risk getting caught selling a service that requires
*licensing*, he's now directing his customers to an outfit out of
California called "NextAlarm".  They handle the entire transaction
(collecting the information, the annual payment, and the programming of
the communicator).  Robert created a bit of a problem for himself by
actually collecting the money for the service *in Florida*.  I believe
it has something to do with his business having been the "Nexus" for a
service that definitely requires state licensing.

Read my response to Robert regarding the Better Business Bureau.  The OP
mentioned something rather interesting.  He stated that Robert "sounded
credible" in explaining his problems with the Bureau.  Think about that
for just a minute.  You've "hit the nail on the head" here, haven't you?
  Robert has used the turmoil *he's* created in the Group to support a
response in which he derides the efforts of one of the most highly
respected consumer protection organizations in the world!  This is
"classical Bass" at his best.

You've asked me to "back off" responding to Robert.  I'd done so for
several weeks.  He continues to attack me at every opportunity.  He's
now accusing me of having "multiple aliases".  I've asked him several
times to provide proof of this latest claim.  Have you seen any?

I'm not here to create turmoil.  I'm trying very hard to limit my
let him continue spouting lies or libel the individuals that participate
here.

It's Robert's turn to "give".  He quits with his nonsense and "normal
programming will resume".  This is a forum for members of our industry
to discuss alarm related products and services.  Read the FAQ and the
Original Proposal Message again.  This is *not* a DIY forum.

Frank Olson
http://www.yoursecuritysource.com