Re: Some cautions for "Newbies"

Nomen Nescio wrote:
> Everywhere Man said:
>
> >It's my opinion that cell backup here, given the high percentage of
> >times you can't find a signal, is worthless. Now with the changes
> >coming in 2008 regarding the towers it has become even less appealing
> >to offer.
> >What's it like in your area?
>
> Those sonsofbitches can't even make my phone work as well as it should, so
> I'm not real confident in the ability of the cellphone companies to provide
> reliable alarm service.  I share your problems with getting adequate signal
> strength consistently.
>
> Private radio networks are a better way to go, but sometimes those radios
> are a pain in the ass, too.
>
> I'd be more concerned about NYC, though.  It's long been known for skilled
> attacks on alarm systems (though no offense, that may not be a major worry
> for the average Brinks customer).  I will always remember how back in the
> mid-1970s, burglars whacked the main cables leading into Holmes' NYC
> central station.  Ten thousand direct wire systems went off all at once,
> guess which one was actually being robbed.

Now THAT was a major event here.

Up till then, something like that wasn't even thought of for a movie
plot. If I remember right, they got past the central station locked
doors, held the operators prisoner. Cut the lines in a man hole with an
axe. I think they got jewels and furs at multiple locations.