Re: IP cameras on ring topology, not star

By hub on each pole I mean a device connected to the ring, with an
ethernet port for 1 camera.

The ring connects all poles and provides a path for the video traffic
from each camera to flow around the ring and out through a point on the
ring to the DV recorder(s).

IBM sells token ring routers, but they are physically wired as a star
(every device has a physical connection back to the router), which does
work for this application.

These routers also have a maximum bandwidth of about 30 Mbit/s, which
may not be enough for 100+ cameras.

I've seen some gigabit LAN gear which supports a ring topology, but I'm
curious to hear if anyone has actually done this.

Matt Ion wrote:
> Pat Coghlan wrote:
>> I'm looking for information on equipment that can/should be used to
>> install IP video cameras on poles around a perimeter (1-2 km, or more).
>>
>> Token-ring routers typically require all drops to be plugged into a
>> panel (operates in token ring fashion, but physically is a star),
>> which is not practical with 100 cameras running around a ring, feeding
>> traffic back to recorders.
>>
>> The equipment needs to be economical (hub on each pole).
>>
>> Any suggestions or real-world examples out there?
>
> Uh... they HAVE broken-ring IP cameras??? AFAIK, all IP cameras are
> ethernet-based.
>
> A hub on each pole?  Are you planning to have multiple cameras on each
> pole?
>
> A little more detail would be helpful...
>

> ---
> Virus Database (VPS): 0617-2, 04/26/2006
> Tested on: 4/27/2006 10:38:07 AM

-Pat