Re: No serial ports

"Sean Sokoly" <sokolyalarms@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:VsYZf.1447$aE.402@xxxxxxxxxxx
> R.H.Campbell wrote:
>> I have tried the "USB to serial converter" and found it simply didn't
>> work in all the cases I tried. Personally, I only use a laptop that has a
>> serial port, which means an older one. This is no problem, since the
>> alarm software is pretty "low end" in regards to the laptop it needs....
>>
>> RHC
>>
>> "alarman" <alarman2000@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>> OK, here's a chance for you to talk about alarm stuff.
>>>
>>> I have been looking for a new laptop, and almost bought one, until I
>>> realized that none of the ones I've seen have a serial port. Since I use
>>> my
>>> laptop program and download alarm controls through an external modem,
>>> the
>>> serial port would come in handy. I know there are serial port adapters,
>>> and
>>> I might settle for that arrangement if it works with my external Hayes
>>> and
>>> Practical Peripheral modems. OTOH, I have seen laptops on the internet
>>> with
>>> a serial port, but the selection is slim.
>>>
>>> What are you guys doing?
>>> js
>>>

> I was faced with the same problem, when I got a new HP laptop last year.
> Bought it then went ah crap no Serial port, how can I download Napco
> panels and Silent Knight Fire panels. Tried a USB - serial it didnt work
> with certain cables. finally found the solution.....>
> http://www.socketcom.com/product/SL0707-078.asp
> if you have a PCMCIA slot that adapter works perfectly and also can be set
> up in DOS.

Well, I decided to live without a serial port for now, and bought a new HP
machine. It's just a lot nicer than anything I could find with a SP. I'll
try the converters 'til I find one that works. Now I have a new problem, I
can't get the new laptop to share files on my network with my old Win98SE
office box. Grrrr... It's always something. Time to upgrade the office box I
know, but Uncle Sam just took a giant bite out of my wallet.

Thanks to all who replied with suggestions.
js