Re: No serial ports

R.H.Campbell wrote:
> I have tried the "USB to serial converter" and found it simply didn't work
> in all the cases I tried. Personally, I only use a laptop that has a serial
> port, which means an older one. This is no problem, since the alarm software
> is pretty "low end" in regards to the laptop it needs....
>
> RHC
>
> "alarman" <alarman2000@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> OK, here's a chance for you to talk about alarm stuff.
>>
>> I have been looking for a new laptop, and almost bought one, until I
>> realized that none of the ones I've seen have a serial port. Since I use
>> my
>> laptop program and download alarm controls through an external modem, the
>> serial port would come in handy. I know there are serial port adapters,
>> and
>> I might settle for that arrangement if it works with my external Hayes and
>> Practical Peripheral modems. OTOH, I have seen laptops on the internet
>> with
>> a serial port, but the selection is slim.
>>
>> What are you guys doing?
>> js

I was faced with the same problem, when I got a new HP laptop last year.
Bought it then went ah crap no Serial port, how can I download Napco
panels and Silent Knight Fire panels. Tried a USB - serial it didnt work
with certain cables. finally found the solution.....>
http://www.socketcom.com/product/SL0707-078.asp
if you have a PCMCIA slot that adapter works perfectly and also can be
set up in DOS.