NextAlarm/Abbra/DIY Question

Howdy,

I am moving into an older home and would like to get a security system.
2.5 stories, 3 bedrooms, about 1200 square feet. Detached garage.I am
open to paying a contractor, but am somewhat handy, decent with
electronics, and want to consider installing a wireless system myself.
I would also prefer using a company like NextAlarm that doesn't require
signing a contract like ADT, et al. A few questions:

Are there some alt.security.alarms readers currently using [or working
for :-) ]nextalarm.com who can provide comments or guidance?
Experiences with their broadband backup? Also, any opinions on the
Abbra system (Visionic Powermax +) and alternatives would be
appreciated.

Thanks to the NG in advance for your thoughts and expertise.

Jason