Re: Security System and self monitoring

> That's right for now, voip don't pay into the systems
> they are using.

I disagree.  VoIP providers like Vonage spend millions every
month on telephone service.  Any VoIP call to a standard
telephone line requires a conventional phone line at some
point.

> ...  those low voip rates are going up if you want 9-1-1
> service.  Add another buck or two a month...

AFAIK< that's not correct, friend.  911 service is not subject to
extra charges.

> Let's not forget that voip has ZERO standards that they
> have to meet...

IME conventional telcos have rarely met the established
standards.  As to price increases, that's just part of
telecommunications service -- no matter what type of line you
choose.

> If state and federal agencies get too many complaints
> they will want to cover their cost and that means voip
> paying just like the phone company.

Huh?  Cost of getting consumer complaints???  Every state DPUC
I've ever known mainly ignores consumer complaints.  They do an
excellent job of rubber-stamping telco rate hike requests though.

> Voip is cheap 'cause it's not phone service, anyone
> who thinks it is or that it will conquer the world is
> full of it...

Those of us who actually use VoIP every day might tend to
disagree with you.  I've had the service for over a year.  At
first there were major quality and reliability issues so I only
used it as an overflow for my POTS lines.

The service has improved to the point where it is now *almost* as
good as conventional telco service.  It won't work at all if the
power fails so it isn't as safe as a POTS line.  Digital alarm
monitoring signals seem to have trouble using VoIP too so it's
not ideal for that purpose either.  However, as a voice telecom
service it's excellent.  It's also much less expensive than POTS.

The near future will, IMO, see a significant growth in VoIP
usage.  I'm particularly interested in developing services, such
as auto-attendant system.

> Voip is getting a second look now that people have been
> nearly killed using it and because it's not "REAL" phone
> service, and rates are going up as they start paying
> their way and the free rides end.

Can't afford the broad speed Internet service that VoIP requires,
eh?

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass