Re: Wireless Home Security Systems

Sir, I know of no sites that rate professional alarm equipment in the same
way that Consumers Reports does.

Firstly, it pays to mention that most of these all-in-one / wireless alarm
systems were primarily designed for small apartments and trailer sites etc,
where security has to be easy to install. This would seem to be your case.
Since then, however, a large number of companies have taken to using them
because they are simple to install, require little if no wiring, and can be
used to sign more clients up to long term monitoring contracts.

That said, provided you use equipment such as the GE Simon, Ademco Lynx,
Paradox Magellan, or the DSC Envoy, you can be assured of professional level
equipment. Usually the wireless that goes along with these is the same
wireless used in hybrid systems of the same manufacture, so is professional
in quality as well. Other makes, I know nothing about, so perhaps post the
makes you are considering and someone with experience can guide you from
there.

Pet motions must be set up properly in order to work as designed. Follow the
height instructions to the letter; don't aim them at stairs, and make sure
that no animal can climb within 6 measured feet of them, and you should be
OK.  (I have other information on my site about pet motions you might want
to read...,)

In my experience, it is highly unlikely that other wireless devices in the
area of your wireless devices will cause a problem. Watch out for high
powered ham transmitters within a block of your home; they can trigger
wireless devices by overloading them, and in extreme cases, can make it
impossible to reliably install wireless of most any kind in their vicinity.

Certainly, referring to the devices I have listed, set up and programmed
properly, there is no reason why you shouldn't expect them to work as well
as conventional alarms. Their weakness is that often they are installed in
situations without proper line exclusion, and walking in and unplugging them
is enough to take them off line, rendering monitoring useless. Most also
have the dialer built in, so someone trashing the main control box is also
trashing it's ability to call the station. So with no monitoring, any real
protection is gone....

R.H.Campbell
Home Security Metal Products
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada