Re: Residential grade door controllers

<hhcuriosity@xxxxxxxx> wrote...

> Do anybody know of a cheap setup that could do this. I only found
> big solutions for business use (meaning access controllers that handle
> holidays, 500 codes and up, etc.) I just need to feed it a couple of
> codes (5 max). The computer would update the access controller's list
> of codes. I would like also to handle start dates and expiry dates on
> certain access codes.

i've installed one of these for a low-security project... went pretty well
and the learning curve is very easy with the text menus on screen... you'd
also need a door strike and a transformers (i don't think it came with one)

http://www.kantech.com/products/controllers_iopass.aspx

there's no hookup to a computer but you can do all the programming right
from the keypad anyway... and after you've added and deleted a code once
it's simple after that... won't even need the manual... you can either use a
code or an access card or both to open the door

as long as you don't have many power failures in your area you should be
good with that

not too sure about the cost... but probably not too expensive or we wouldn't
have used it on that project

ps - if you're going to go with the small keychain-sized access cards...
order extra... they don't work for long on keychains with careless people...
i've already had to replace a couple in the past few months and i don't
think they leave the office