Re: Alarm Installation Pet Peeves <rant>

Frank Olson wrote:
> "JoeRaisin" <joeraisin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> >

> > Then there was the home owner who trimmed back our prewire bundle to help
> > the painter get it out of the way.  Sure, he left enough wire....
> > AND he even saved the part he cut off so we would have the labeled ends...
>
> An AGT (Alberta Government Telephones) tech did that on one of my installs
> years ago only he terminated all 64 wires to a couple of BIX blocks figuring
> there were 70+ telephone outlets in a 3500 square foot house...  GRRRRRR!!!

I Prewired a contemoporary style home (all vaulted/ceilings, no attic)
The audio guy came back to finish up before me. He used the wires that
I had run to mud rings for the two keypads on the second floor, for his
audio system controls. The client had to choose between alarm kepads
and audio controls. Fortunately there were two keypads on the second
floor and he chose one of each. Additionally, the audio installer
electrical taped all his wires in the basement to my wire runs.

Had another instance in a doctors office. I'd installed and wired the
alarm system before the telephone interconnect company installed the
phone system. I'd mounted a board and had my wired panel on it. When I
returned to show them how to use the alarm system, I discovered that
the telephone installers had unscrewed my panel, moved it to the edge
of the (very small) board and mounted their KSU, on it. My cable ties
all loosened. Wires all scrunched, twisted, pulled tight. Panel mounted
crooked with two screws. I was going to pull down their unit but
decided that my customer wouldn't see the situation from the same
perspective as I. I was able to add additional back board and
straighten the wires.

However, being the professional that I am, rather than pulling down
their work and jepordizing my relationship with my client. I got a
metal file from my van, filed a small handfull of metal filings and
sprinkeld it on the printed circuit boards. I understand that they
really had a lot of troubles with the telephone system and had to have
the system replaced. Some people just never learn.