Re: Alarm Installation Pet Peeves <rant>

Crash Gordon wrote:

> Installers that use only tape to make up switch connections in the
> wall...like the tape won't fall off in a couple of years.
>
> Installers that put alarm panels 12' up the wall in a tiny pantry closet.
>
> Installers that don't leave any service loop in the wall so if you have to
> change a switch out you have to work with a magnifying glass and a pair of
> locking forcepts...like you never ever have to change a switch?

Or they do leave a service loop, but don't tape the beans back along the
wire so you can't pull out the switch.

> Running only 2 conductor wire...sheesh...like 4 conductor is like what...5
> bucks more a box? Especially in a flat-top house with tile floors and block
> walls.

Or they run 4 conductor but cut the unused pair back so far they are
useless.

> ....etc..

No wires labeled and the existing panel is dead and there is no zone
info anywhere.  (2 months ago - new home owner, 15 zones, aside from
fire all run on identical 4 conductor.  Toner got quite a work out as
did I, running up and down stairs all day.)

Then there was the home owner who trimmed back our prewire bundle to
help the painter get it out of the way.  Sure, he left enough wire....
AND he even saved the part he cut off so we would have the labeled ends...