Re: To catch a thief, Advice needed

You should be able to find a Web Camera with included software that
allows time-lapse or motion-activated recording with your PC.  I just
saw one at Fry's Electronics that was intended for just this, it had
Infrared LED's so it could see in the dark and a looong usb cable to
your PC.  Because it's Wired I expect it would be decent video.  It was
about $200.