Re: Your Favorite Install Tool?

Jim Sutton wrote:
> ooohhh a thread that calls out to my inner kit freak

:-)

> Pants _ (wait a minute pants don't qualify as a tool I hear you say.)
> Check out the work pants from Skillers
> -http://www.skillers.com/cgi-bin/store/store.cgi?&shop=skillers&cart=31291437x20051&session=43617ad94e53782d&L=eng&P=5695-85

I just pick up cargo pants cheap at Value Village and such places.  They
have tons of pockets of varying sizes, and they're expendable :)

> You have to wear safety boots for the commercial sites but Mrs Homemaker
> wants you to take them off as soon as you walk in the house so you don't
> scratch the hardwoods.  Save 1/2 hour a day by putting in boot Zippers
> http://www.best-boots.com/danner_lace_in_boot_4444_prd1.htm

Oooo, that's cool!

> Megapro Screwdriver- nice fat handle - lots of torque.
> http://www.megaprotools.com/catalog.html

I prefer the PicQuic drivers (http://www.picquic.com) - they come in
both regular size and stubby, the bits work in most any standard
screwgun or cordless screwdriver, and changing bits is the easiest and
least annoying of any design I've seen.  I have a couple of those
MegaPro units, but the double-ended bits won't work in my Milwaukee
cordless driver or any standard bit-holders, and pulling out the back of
the handle and trying to pry bits out of those little holders is a PITA.
  At least compared to the PicQuic, they are.

> Maglite Mini  -(the 2 AA cell size) yes they're expensive but try
> hitting a angry rotweiler in the head with your LED headlamp and you'll
> see why I prefer machined aluminum.

A 2-AA Minimag will only make the Rottie mad.  You wanna defend
yourself, you need a 4-D Maglite, minimum :)

> add a couple of Nite-Ize accessories
> LED upgrade-Batteries last for ever
> http://www.niteize.com/productdetail.php?category_id=28&product_id=110

Ugh... the thing I don't like about LED flashlights is they have NO
range.  Where the reflector in a normal flashlight takes ALL the bulb's
light and concentrates it forward, LEDs have their own
marginally-effective internal reflectors that really do very little to
concentrate the beam, and the flashlight's reflector, if any, becomes
meaningless.  LEDs are great for a bright, white light... up to about
three feet.

> Continuity Testers - the Latch-Test from Test-Um
> http://www.test-um.com/product_detail.asp?itemno=TG300
> Indicates not only NO and NC circuits but can latch on either.
> Invaluable when working alone.

Nice!

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0543-2, 10/27/2005
Tested on: 10/27/2005 10:51:24 PM