Re: Greater Toronto Area Recomendations?

R.H.Campbell wrote:
> Sir, I hate to burst your bubble, but this concept is just another
> martketing version on the old "low down, megabucks a month" concept.

$25/month = "megabucks"?

> They use wireless components strictly because it's
> easy and cheap to install, NOT because it is better.

I never said it was "better."

> Coverage is absolutely
> minimal, and they make a big issue of this two way voice business, which is
> pure marketing hype. DSC sells the same ability with their PC 5904 two way
> listen in add on module, but you don't see most alarmcos rushing out to use
> it.

And how much does that module cost?  How much is their similar
monitoring service?

> It would also pay to remember this is the same company that made a big
> public radio campaign in Toronto telling the thieves in the process one way
> to compromise an alarm system.

By cutting the phone line?  Anyone who's watched a movie or cop show in
the last 30 years has already figured that one out.

> few years. What kind of system, with training, can anyone legitimately
> install in an hour. To do everything properly, plus train properly, takes at
> least a full day, sometimes two !

Really?  How complicated does it NEED to be, to be legitimate?

Attach sensor to door and frame.  Attach motion sensor to wall.  Plug
brain into power and phone.  Enter your code to arm and disarm.  Does it
HAVE to be more complex than that?

I don't think your average consumer would want an alarm that takes a
day-long course just to operate.  The ones I've installed, most of the
users have trouble grasping "zone bypass".

> Again, just my biased opinion, but they are as close to a scam as any
> company can get without actually crossing the line. Sad that a cop actually
> buys into that crap about fewer false alarms ! And even sadder still, is
> that a lot of consumers buy it as well......

Well I'm sure you would have been happy to come install a panel, a
couple sensors, and do all the wiring for a really low cost.  Being in a
rental at the time, we didn't really want to invest in a big installed
system that we wouldn't even be able to take along when we moved.

For our situation, it was the best option.  Even knowing what I know
now, and having installed "standard" alarms myself, I know it would have
been preferable TO US at the time.  Sorry if that offends you, but one
size does NOT fit all.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0546-3, 11/16/2005
Tested on: 11/16/2005 11:17:30 PM