Re: Commercial Alarm - help

"Nomen Nescio" <nobody@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:913c0494b0187f736b0f30d795eaaaeb@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> Jackcsg said:
>
> >Here's how simple the calculation is: The Police are notified to respond
> >a burglar alarm going off at xyz residence. Police arrive, find no sign
of a
> >break-in at the premise. This is logged as a "False Alarm". This
information
> >is collected all Year long. At the end of the year, they compare the
actual
> >calls for response, with ACTUAL crimes. Response vs. Crime.
> >
> >100% Response
> >99% False Alarm
> >1% Valid Crime
> >
> >If I'm wrong, show me a report from a responding authority having
> >jurisdiction that states otherwise. "SHOW ME"
>
> Yes, that's exactly my point.  The police are using an unfair statistic,
> and they don't understand why it's unfair.

Unfair statistics? Your point? Your point is dilusional.

> Judging alarm companies by the total number of false alarms they create:
> that's fair.

So what a false alarm index? Where do you suppose this data would come from?
Alarm companies? You just said that would be unfair.

> Judging alarm companies by the average number of false alarms each system
> causes:  that's even more fair.

That's what you would think. Unfortunately alarm companies don't follow
through with the result.
Instead AHJ's do.

> Judging alarm companies by the ratio of false alarms to actual burglaries:
> that's complete bullshit.  Alarm companies have no control over how many
> burglary attempts there are.  If all the burglars decided to take the next
> month off, the false alarm rate would be 100%.  If the burglars decide to
> work extra hard and commit more crimes, the false alarm rate would
actually
> drop.   Would the lower percentage mean that alarms are working better?
Of
> course not.

Look, again...put aside your personal feelings. No body is saying the
industry is not effective, nor that alarms aren't either. You're side
stepping the information, just like the industry. Some of us just want to
see it more, or most effective. Stop focusing on what you think works, and
realize there is a circular pattern here. Realize for every action, there is
a reaction. For every reactive response, there may be a proactive
initiative. Think Man!

> Alarm systems are electronic devices that have a certain failure rate,
just
> like any other piece of electronic equipment, and that failure rate is not
> affected by the number of burglaries that are attempted.  This is just
like
> fire alarms.  The number of false fire alarms has nothing to do with the
> number of fires.  I'll bet you'd find the percentage of fire alarms that
> are false is also in the high nineties, simply because there are more and
> more fire alarm systems and no corresponding increase in the number of
> fires.

These numbers aren't based on comparisons. That's how the Politicians and
idiots, use this information.
It's a simple fact of economic's, man-hours vs. tax dollars. Alarm
installers/dealers aren't paid by tax dollars, responding authorities are.
Think.

> Trying to cut that false alarm percentage is a game the alarm companies
can
> never win.

I disagree. Finding the $9 answer for alarm companies will never happen.
It's going to be tough because the industry is geared towards being
competitive with one another.
The industry is too focused on RMR. Lost was the value that alarm systems
could have, or should have provided. It's not everywhere though. Some, the
few, do make, or try to make a difference in the industry. Some of those
guys are right here.