Re: Silent Knight Fire Panels

"Bob La Londe" <usenet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:BPydnZZuAqCmYvXeRVn-sw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> "Mike Sokoly" <secure15@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> Bob La Londe wrote:
>> > Are all the standard Silent Knight panels sans communicator?
>> >
>> > The last one I installed was a 5104B several years ago, and I don't
> recall
>> > having to add a plug in communicator to it.
>> >
>> > I recall you had to add-on their atleast temporarily the
> keypad/annunciator
>> > to program it, but I don't recall having to add a communicator.
>> >

>> Bob,
>> 5208, 5207 and the Addressable 5700, 5808 and 5820 have built in 2-line
>> DACTS
>> 2224, 4224,6324, conventional do not.
>> 5104 still has one
>> Mike S
>
> Thanks Mike.  I was checking the Silent Knight website, and under
> conventional Fire Panels they don't list the 5104, but when I check ADI'
> on-line inventory they show 50 plus of them in stock so I know its still
> in
> circulation.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Looks like a 5104 and a 5230 will fill the niche for me.

Bob,

You seem like a nice guy who wants to do a job the right way.  Why would you
want to use a communicator as a fire panel?  That's right, the 5104B is a 6
channel communicator.  It doesn't have any controls.  God help you if you
want to hook up signals to it.  How does the fire department or the building
personnel tell which zone is in alarm?  Wait for the central station to
call?  The keypad is ok for programming but almost useless as an
annunicator/control.  We use the 5104B to monitor fire panels.  There is a
very good reason Silent Knight's own web site doesn't list it under
conventional fire panels.  They list it as a Fire Alarm Communicator.  That
is what it should be used for.

Thanks for letting me vent.  I have seen too many 5104's in warehouses and
such, monitoring half a dozen waterflows, tampers, low temps, etc on 1 or 2
zones.

Mike Breslin