IS this overkill

I just would like some opinions. I am a paranoid person by nature and I
am always worried that the phoned line will be cut and hence the CMS
will not get the alarm call. I was going to buy radio backup from
Robert Bass but he said it was probably a bit of overkill. He told me
that the radio backup itself would be a few hundred bucks and then my
CMS would then charge me another 10 or 20 bucks a month on top of my
basic charge to monitor the radio backup. He suggested instead to get a
hardened case and pipe for the phone box and wire that lead into the
house. Since Mr Bass has not steered my wrong yet I didn't buy the
radio backup but I am curious what others may think.

Do I need a radio backup or is it overkill?
Is the hardened box enough?

Thanks for the replies.