lan setup

Hi there,

I'm a new (1 week) alarm systems user and  have a few questions.
Any advice appreciated.
I'm having a DSC Power 864 controller with a lcd5500 panel installed. I
would like to access the controller via my computer. Googeling suggested
the T-Link TCP/IP Communicator or the Web Xpander.

I your opinion, what is the preferred board to use with regards to
functionality and software available?

Is the API usable/acccesable and documented?

Does it only support Windows or are there API's available for Linux?

What do I need to add X10 functionality to my Power 864 ?

Much appreciated.

Tertius.