Re: NFPA's Creation of Security Standards/Codes

securitymission@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Rocky,
>
> Can you give me some for instances where certain sensors work in one
> location but not another?  Also, can I quote any of what you have to
> say in this regard if I do a story on it?
>
> Thanks,
> Al Colombo, SSI

How would any inspector know if motion detectors should be used or not,
or if so, what kind? Will there be cats, dogs? Should there be outdoor
sounders or not? How long should the exit delay be .....for a
handicapped person? Is a medical alert system a "security system"?
Should there be audio glass breaks or glass shock sensors? who knows
how the rooms are going to be furnished ..... after the house is built?
Should a double hung window be allowed to be "ventilated"? What if the
homeowner only "WANTS" a couple of doors and windows done? How do you
account for mutual access in a mother daughter house? What are the
rules for partitioning a system? Location of keypads ........ inside
the master bedroom or in the hallways for everyone to have access? What
if the owner doesn't want to "afford" a complete system? Only do
partial now .... the rest "later". What kind of inspection can occur on
an after market residential installation?  What kind of inspection can
be done on a wireless system? What about changes to a system as the
family changes, grows, or gets older, aquires or loses pets? What is
someone is being stalked or wants contacts and glass breaks and
vibration and stress sensors and motion detectors and electric eyes,
and panic buttons in every room?

Need I continue?

Sounds to me as if the basic code should be:

Contacts on three doors, a motion detector, one keypad,sounder, and
hook up to central.

After that, anything in addition falls outside the code. :)))))))