Re: Computer Based Programming Superior to Keypad?

> For a prospective DIY'er like myself - and maybe for a professional
> working on a system he's not too familiar with - it would seem likely
> that programming a system with a computer and the manufacturer's
> software has to be easier and faster than at a keypad, especially for
> the initial setup.   (Assume the computer is nearby or a laptop is
> used, the software is already loaded, and the system is moderately
> complex.)...

Agreed.

> - Which manufacturers support PC based programming?

Virtually all of them.  Some manufacturers provide an inexpensive device to
connect the PC or laptop directly to the alarm control panel via the serial
port.  Some provide a device but charge a lot more.  For example, Napco's
PCI-Mini device retails for ~$21 with the software on CD-ROM.  DSC's device
is ~$15 or so.  Ademco's software is cheap but the interface is expensive.

> - How would you rate and compare their
> software for ease of use and ability to access
> all features?

That's a hotly debated topic here.  Some people think Napco's software is
awful while others (this writer included) think it's easy to use.  Some love
DSC for its simplicity while others dislike it due to repeated hardware
problems.  Ademco's Compass software is easy to use.  ELK's software for the
ELK-M1 series is easy to use, powerful and free.  No special dongle is
required.  The panels have built-in RS232 and optional TCP/IP (Ethernet)
ports.  Ethernet connectivity isn't really intended for programming so much
as control and monitoring since the ELK panels are full-blown home
automation platforms.

> - Do any manufacurers support having their
> panels plugged directly into a LAN so it's
> always available for programming changes or
> additions?

See above.

> - Other considerations?

Your driving force for panel selection really should be system capabilities,
flexibility, etc.  Will the system be suitable for your specific needs, now
and in the future?  Remember that you will only program the system once or
twice.  After that even minor changes are only occasional.  You will use the
system every day so user friendliness and feature set are much more
important in the long run than programming methods.

BTW, I sell most of the brands that are regularly discussed here to DIYers.
My URL is below.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass