Re: need advice on home alarm

"Mostro" <oveloz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:d62fjk$3lv$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>I am a systems administrator (IT) and I have a pretty good mechanical
>aptitude.  (come from automotive background)
>
> I am looking at an alarm for my new house.  The house closing left me
> drained of funds, but I need an alarm, or at least I would feel safer
> having one.  I called Brinks, and for about 300.00 to start and 30 dollars
> a month, I can get a wired system, very basic type system, a couple of
> door sensors, one flex sensor, and a glass reak sensor.
>
> My other option is an online store like homesecuritytore.com   and buying
> either the powermax+ or the GE simon 3 system to start, and then paying
> about 10.00 to have it monitored.  The wireless things seems good to me,
> but is it?  Also, what is better, the powermax+ or the GE Simon3?

Call three local alarm dealers and get a competitive quotation.  Stay away
from the "big box" dealers that offer long term contracts with low "upfront"
charges.  You'll pay more in the long run than you would if you purchased
the equipment from a local dealer and had them install it.  If you're going
the professional install route, pay attention to the contract terms.  Ask
the three companies you've invited to leave copies of their contracts so you
can review the terms at your leisure.

If your'e going the DIY route, I'd recommend you stick with the Simon
system.  I believe the transmitters are universal to most of the GE line
(including CADDX).  If you're short of funds, this is the route to go.  You
can then upgrade the system as you desire without having to junk the
transmitters.  Stick with a local UL listed station for monitoring.  They'll
be familiar with your local's requirements.  You may have to employ a
licensed dealer to program that part of the system for you.  Other online
stores to look at include:

http://www.alarmcontacts.com
http://www.tech-man.com/estore
http://www.alarmsystemstore.com