Re: Getting the most out of my DSC 832

"Bobby_M" <rmierzej@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:<1111427423.196699.110700@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>...
> I have 8 perimeter zones and 4 motion detectors in my system. I have a
> keypad on the first floor and one in the master bedroom. I set up the
> motions so that they are bypassed in "stay" mode. This is great for
> when my wife and kid is home during the day, but I'd like to have the
> basement and first floor motions armed at night. I've noticed some
> other systems have a "night" mode for this, but is there a way to do it
> on the DSC system?
>

> Also, now that my wife is home all day with the baby, does anyone
> suggest I wire in some panic buttons in remote rooms like bathrooms in
> case of forced intrusions while the system is mistakenly unarmed?
>
> Are external sirens suggested even on monitored systems? Our neighbors
> are very "neighborhood watch" friendly and I'm always worried about a
> telephone line cut.
>
> Finally, has anyone set this system up with the wireless keyfob for
> arming disarming? It's a pain to pull in the garage and make a dash for
> the keypad. What is the range on these? I'd rather use the wireless
> add-on module than change out the keypad to the wireless model.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
Hey Bobby,
> I've never tried this, but it should work. I'm going to assume your
bedrooms are on the second floor, and you have a motion detector on
that floor, and the other three motion detectors are on the ground
floor and the basement. you can set up a 2 partition system. assign
all zones except for the second floor motion to partition 1. assign
the second floor motion to partition 2. now if you want to arm the
system in daytime stay mode arm partion 1 in "stay mode" (all
perimeter zones will be armed). If you want to arm the system in
"night stay" mode, arm partition 1 in away mode (all perimeter zones
and the ground floor and basement motions will be armed). If you want
to arm your system in "away mode" arm partition 1 and 2 in away mode
(all zones will be armed). You'll probably want to define the second
floor motion as an instant zone type, and then disable the chime
feature for that zone in advanced system programming. This is a little
complicated, as you will have to program your keypads as "global", but
it's the only way i can think of.
Your keypads should have built in panic buttons, but it never hurts to
wire in a panic button or two, also, if you're thinking of adding a
keyfob for arming/disarming, you could program one of the buttons as a
wireless panic. I don't have a manual in front of me though, so you
may be limited to one partition for those keyfobs. I've been using a
wireless keyfob kit from a company called Secure Wireless. It's super
easy to install, automatically intigrates with the 832, and has a
built-in relay for your garage door opener. It even comes with a
status light you can install in your garage (or outside) so you can
see the status of your system when you drive in.
I don't recommend external sirens (false alarm fines/noise bylaws) but
i do recommend getting a Skyroute unit and subscribing to cellular
backup service. It's relatively inexpensive and you don't have to
worry about phone line cuts.