Re: Insurance companys wonder why there so hated

Three weeks after a fire that destroyed a convenience store that was a
customer of mine I get a call from a fire investigator.

He wonders why we never received any alarm signals on the night of the fire.
Since the customer lived in the store and only turned the alarm on when he
left the store to do stuff it wasn't supervised and I didn't even know they
had burned down.  It seemed a little odd to me that we didn't get any
signals because the telephone wires ran on the outside of this building
built with heavy stone and went thru the wall right beside the alarm panel
and it didn't make sense that the wires would have burned up outside so
quickly so I just figured the alarm may not have been on at all.  The
investigator tried to make it seem like something was wrong with the alarm
system or the installation.  He tells me he has been investigating fires for
years and the alarm not going off seems suspicious.  He hung up very unhappy
with my answers.

I decided to drive ut and take a look at the place and see if maybe
something obvious had happenend that may explain why no signals came in.  I
could see that the telephone wires from the terminal in back of the building
that went around the stone wall to the point where they vanished into the
hole beside the alarm were in fine condition.  They did not burn up and they
were not cut and in fact when I tested the line it was still working.  So I
put my ladder up against the building and look through a small vent near
where the alarm panel was.  I can see that the panel is okay and also that
the telphone line is unplugged from the alarm panel's phone jack which
explains why there were no signals.  Now the only question seems to be is
how did the jack get unplugged.  I conclude that there was nothing wrong
with the alarm system.

And, since there was also a dead body hanging up inside the ceiling beside
the alarm panel I think I can guess why the phone line is unplugged.  I
can't understand why the investigator would be calling me and trying to
place the blame on me when it took me less than 5 minutes to discover the
actual cause of the fire.

As it turns out these two guys had done a number of arsons in the area and
they simply set fires to cover their breakins.  In this case one of them
didn't make it back out of the building.