Re: Bypass Telco's NID box?

You have to have the NID for a couple reasons.  1st it is the legal
seperation point from your line to their line.

Second, it provides grounding protection to your home via carbon (old style)
or inert gas tubes (new style) that will short the phone lines to ground in
the event of an extreme voltage spike such as a lightning strike (more than
a 1000 yards away).

You might consider moving the NID to the eve of the house and running an
appropriate ground (10 ga) to a solid ground rod from there.  Technically
this is also a no no, and if you ask the telco for permission they will say
no, but...  many people feel its easier to ask forgiveness then to beg
permission.