Alarm silence/power query ??

Hi,

Hope this isn't too much of a dumb question but how can I silence my
external alarm when I switch off my electric supply?  I am about to do some
DIY which involves cutting the electric supply to the house but everytime I
do turn it off the alarm goes off, whether I remove the fuse or disconnect
the base supply.

I am aware of why this happens but would like to know how I might be able to
avoid this,  I have read the manual (it's optima xm6) and only seems to
provide info for omitting zones or disabling the alarm once it's actually
activated.

I have recently moved house and am unsure how to proceed with this ( if we
get a power failure does this mean that my house alarm will sound around the
neighbourhood whilst I cannot disable it using the code?? (as the lights go
off on the control panel when power is lost but siren continues)

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Please reply to group