Re: EOLR Depate

And how do you deal with the trouble signal...dispatch PD or service =
tech?

Couldn't be gross negligence if it's commonly accepted practice. I =
haven't seen eolr in the right place in a residence in years...not even =
ADT does it anymore. In fact I don't even see them in the right place on =
commercial systems by ADT. I'm not saying that makes it right, just that =
what becomes commonly accepted practice couldn't be deemed gross =
negligence.

I'm just being argumentative :-)

In high sec. residential I've run closed circuit switches with eolr at =
end of multiple loop, then on the 2nd pair run 24 hr panic circuit =
through the same loop zone.

"Aegis" <lordaegis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message =
>=20
> "Crash Gordon=AE" <NONE@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message=20
> yah, but with closed circuit switches what are you really =
protecting?..one=20
> leg of the loop?
>=20
> ***
> Well, let's see.. With the EOLR, on your NC loop (EOLR in series), the =
panel=20
> can see an OPEN, NORMAL, or a SHORT. Using common voltages, it could =
see 5V,=20
> 2.5V, or 0V (voltages vary from panel to panel so I'm using these).
>=20
> EOLR at EOL:
> 2.5V means all doors on the loop are closed.
> 5V means at least one door on the loop is open (or a wire fault if all =
doors=20
> are closed).
> 0V means trouble. With a resistor in series at the EOL, this condition =
can=20
> only exist if there is a wire fault [THIS is your supervision].
>=20
> Now let's see the possibilities with the EOLR at the panel:
> 2.5V - All doors closed / Normal
> 5V - At least one door open (or fault if all doors are closed)
> 0V - You can't ever get this with the resistor at the panel so it is =
blind=20
> to a shorted wire condition.  <--- !!!
>=20
> So you just took 3-state supervision down to 2-state. IF there were a =
short=20
> introduced on the wire, the end user would never know or be warned of =
what=20
> SHOULD have been a detectable fault. The loop will arm normally.
>=20
> The key here isn't the fact that you only lost supervision to a single =
type=20
> of fault, but that it was PREVENTABLE. Add to that the fact that the =
law=20
> says you are an expert and consumers are, by default, not experts, you =
put=20
> yourself into a situation where a jury could find you guilty of =
actually=20
> taking advantage of the unsuspecting public, when in fact you were =
merely=20
> being lazy and/or stupid. What's the difference? The word 'gross'. =
Neglect=20
> can cost you thousands; "gross" neglect can cost you millions. They =
can't=20
> squeeze water from a rock, but they CAN take 40% of your disposable =
income=20
> for the rest of your life.
>=20
> Likely? Perhaps not... But why risk it for a friggin' resistor?
> ***
>=20
> "Jackcsg" <nospam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message=20
> > Thanks Ron. You're absolutely correct, and it's a good topic around =
here.
> > They are not called "in the box resistors". But I would say at least =
50%=20
> > of
> > the dealers just don't get it. (Just my opinion)
> >
> > <rwies@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message=20
> > > EOLR Placement Debate
> > >
> > > I have been in the alarm industry for about 36 years now and over =
that
> > time
> > > I have witnessed many innovations.  One of these is the circuit
> > supervision
> > > provided by the end of line resistor.
> > >
> > > When I first entered the industry the EOLR was not necessary =
because we
> > used
> > > an end of line battery.  The circuit was automatically supervised. =
 When

<http://www.securitysales.com/t_ci_articleView.cfm?aid=3D1926&sid=3D2>.=20