protocol for Protect R/TUs

I have been asked by a customer to interface to some old Protect
emergency call systems, and I am trying to determine what protocol
these things use to communicate with the central station.  Does anyone
have any ideas?  At this point, I have not physically seen the systems
so I don't know model numbers etc.  All I know is that there are 3
vintages of system installed.  I am guessing that it is some pulse
format, but I don't know if it a 'standard' format or some proprietary
format.  Any help is appreciated.

John