Re: Automatic resetting fire panel :(

"James" <trishnjames@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:hYqdnQWTX7Pv8NbfRVn-sA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Today i was installing a communicator on a notifier fire panel.  This
panel
> is in one of many buildings that a manufacturing company had owned.  The
> building I was working in is going to be a "Tech School" vocational
college.
> Once I was done installing the communicator I ran a test on the fire alarm
> panel to check the reporting.  I pulled a pull statoin and the fire alarm
> went into alarm, a few seconds later it silenced and reset "by itself". I
> tried running several more tests all with the same results.  After about
an
> hour of locating devices and tracing wires I figured out the panel has a
> remote annunciator in another building about 7 buildings away.  This
> building was still in posession of the manufacturing firm and they had "24
> hour security".  The security personell were silencing and resetting the
> fire alarm withought verrifying what was going on.  I would have thought
> they would have dispatched the fire department and sent a runner to check
> the building before they silence the horns, let alone reset everything
>
> James.

That's a nice feature...There is no way in hell I can picture an AHJ
allowing a fire panel to be remotely reset in this manner, let alone a
dealer that would install it that way. I'd be disconnecting that annunciator
ASAP. Makes you wonder how many times they've actually done this? And what
would happen if a real fire had happen. Just more proof that you can't pay
someone $6.75 an hour and expect that person to use his own common sense, or
have any. Good story. I make a living around replacing Guards, and this is
just another example of why it's so lucrative.

Jack