Re: NFPA's Creation of Security Standards/Codes

Crash, the NFPA 731 only pertains to commercial, industrial, and
institutional.  It does not apply to one- and two-family dwellings.
Even still, Bob Worthy brought up a good point that really does make
this entire document seem questionable.  Open access to blueprints and
other documents, if true, will make this an especially dangerous
document as criminals will have ready access to the "what" and "where"
of detection.

With that said, there are already municipalities who require blueprints
of security devices along with fire, public address, and other
low-voltage systems.  This is, of course, the opposite of good security
where blueprints and other submission documents are made available to
members of the public.

I will be investigating this issue on a local basis via several
municipal and county building departments.  If I can get in to view a
project that I had nothing to do with, then you know this is a really
dangerous issue.  I'll be sure to update everyone when I have more
information.  If anyone else has any experience in this area, or
happens to care to try their own hand at this in their own locale,
please let me know the outcome.

Thanks!

Al

Al