Re: DIY Burglar Alarm and Video Security

Frank,

Somehow I missed your thread a few days back, thanks for the wealth of
information!  I don't know how I missed this one.

As for the security cameras, I know that what I have now is not ideal.  The
remote client talks to the server with TCP/IP over port 1999.  Since we work
at a company where the proxy server blocks all traffic except for http, I
cannot view our cameras from work.  So I guess whatever he buys will need to
have a built-in webserver?  I think he will want to go with a PC based
system, so what would you recommend there?  As far as image "processing", I
don't quite know what you mean.  My system just records on motion detect, in
a circular fashion, and if I want to go back and look at something, I merely
view the .avi files in Windows Media Player.  I can snapshot to .jpg files
if I want to.

Thanks!

Sue
"Frank Olson" <feolson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> "Sue Odom" <sodom@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > Where does he live?  Just kidding.  Thanks.  How do I contact Jack?
>

> Don't worry...  He'll find you...  :-)  He's a regular contributor in this
> group.  If you're looking to purchase products on line, there are a whole
> host of e-commerce stores set up.  In your area (California) there's
> http://www.norcoalarms.com for starters.
>
> For a panel (and if you're anticipating a do-it-yourself type job), I'd
> stick with something fairly easy to program like the DSC "Power" series.
> The "832" will go up to 32 zones and is a "hybrid" panel (capable of
> hard-wired or wireless zones).  The "864" goes up to 64 zones.  Both are
> capable of supporting X-10 home automation components on a limited basis.
> You can look at these products at http://www.dsc.com.  If you really want
> something your boss will love to sink his money into, check out the Elk
M-1
> Gold at http://www.elkproducts.com.  It's an awesome panel, but a bit
> "pricey".
>
> As for cameras...  Unless you know what you want to view with them
> specifically, how you want the images processed, whether-or-not you want
> internet accessibility, that field is "wide open".  There are a lot of
> products out there I could recommend if I knew what it was he wants to
> accomplish.
>
> As for wiring...  Check out your local electrical wholesalers.  For CCTV
> you're looking for either RG-59U or RG-6, you'll need two conductor 18
gauge
> for power (either stranded or solid core LVT), and 22/4 Station "Z" wire
for
> the alarm system.  These come in reels of 250, 500, or 1000 feet.  For a
> 2300 square foot house you should go with 4 - 250' or 500' reels of
Station