Re: Remote Telecom Shelter Electronic Access Controls Discussion

"RF Dude" <post@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> I'm looking for a telecom shelter electronic access system for about 1000
> sites. Most popular in the industry seem to be the GE Security TRACess /
> SUPRA system. Comments on this system or any other solution are most
> welcome.
>
> With IP connectivity being more and more universal, I'm wondering if a
> real time access control system for remote telecom shelters has become
> affordable as well as mature for this application. There seem to be plenty
> of access systems designed for large buildings with hundreds of doors, but
> not many for the telecom "one door per building x 1000" approach.
>
> You can see that I'm struggling with choosing the popular TRACess,
> non-real time (for audit purposes) technology over something newer with
> real time responsiveness. The advantage of a real time system is that
> terminated employees and contractors immediately loose their access.
> Secondly, if someone doesn't have a keypad with them for whatever
> legitamite reason, the door can be opened remotely. Also for discussion in
> this vein is card vs. keypad or other means of authenticating the user.
>
> Comments with reference to a vendor are very much appreciated.
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> RF Dude

You might be interested in perusing the information on this page.  A "SCADA"
type system may be an alternative to consider.  Although the units we're
currently servicing don't provide access control, they can be adapted.

http://www.iainsider.co.uk/scadasites.htm#Accessware