Re: Some More DIY'er Questions

nafhsuramai@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I plan on installing either a Vista 10 or Vista 15 very shortly.  The
> house is rather small and I won't be using very many sensors so it
> appears the Vista 10 may be all I need.  Can anyone talk me out of it
> and into either the 15 or 20?  Are there any reasons not to go with the
> 10?  Also can anyone break down for me the differnces between the
> models that end in SE, P or PS?
>
> On a different subject what are my options on installing keypads?  Are
> all Ademco keypads compatible with all panels?  Ideally I want a wired
> keypad on the first floor and I think I want it to be the 6160V.  I
> would then want another keypad in my bedroom on the second floor and if
> I understand correctly I can put a wireless keypad there.  Some of the
> keypads however advertise having a wireless receiver built in.  Would
> this keypad also need a wireless receiver to work?  As you can tell I
> am confused by this point.  And how about a recommendation on a second
> keypad.

As mentioned before, the RF keypads need a wire but can receive
transmissions from wireless devices.

The wireless keypad (5839?) needs an Ademco 5883 transceiver - sort of
pricey.  Your better option would be an rf keypad as a secondary and use
keyfobs.  If you can get into your attic above the master bedroom it may
be worth seeing if you can get from the attic to the area you are puting
your panel.

> Also when it comes to wireless door and window sensors other than
> aesthetics are there any drawbacks to using those really small recessed
> transmitters versus the larger external ones (or vice versa.)

You can also hide the transmitters behind the window trim.  If you can
figure a way to hide the transmitter you may want to consider going this
  route as with the 5816's you can use a smaller mer aesthetic contact
and  just run the wire to the transmitter.   Everything is a decoration....

> Lastly I recall there being a post regarding Ademco (not sure if it was
> just the wireless ones) glassbreak sensors not being all that great and
> I believe the poster had recommended a better alternative (I believe it
> was Intellisense or Visonic.)  If one of these do they make one which
> is compatible with Ademco wireless?

We install the ademco's and I haven't had many problems.  Ones that are
in problem areas, kitchens, mudrooms places like that, I will discuss
with the customer programming them as interior zones and making them
active on night-stay.  That way, if the alarm is armed while they are up
and moving about the GB's don't false and they can arm them when they go
to bed.  Alleviates quite a few problems.