Re: Newbie Door Contact Question

> I would like it to wire to NC magnetic contacts
> in series.  Is it as easy I think?  Would either
> contact cause an alarm? Thanks in advance.

Yes.  The circuit is similar to old-fashioned Christmas lights.  If they are
wired in series, opening either contact will violate the zone.  That's the
simple answer.

As with most things, there's more to consider.  If you have multiple sensors
on one zone (sensing circuit) it can be more difficult tracking problems.
An intermittent open circuit (alarm installers call this a "swinger") can be
a real pain to track if there are a lot of sensors in series on one zone.
The ideal technique is to place each sensor on a separate zone.  Problems
can be identified the instant they occur.  System use and configuration is
also more flexible.  The down side is this approach requires more zones.
The control panel may cost more.  Zone expanders allow you to add 8 or more
additional zones to the basic system.  These can be added to many panels but
they cost.

Most knowledgeable technicians will tell you that it's important to at least
keep each motion and glass break detector on its own loop.  Some of us are
more cautious, preferring to place every sensor on a separate zone.  The
optimum configuration for most folks lies somewhere between the ideal of one
sensor per zone and the least cost system which may have 4, 8 or more
sensors in each loop.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass